Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Passover

Tuesday night, around 70 students gathered at Brother's Pizza on College Avenue to celebrate the end of Passover. It was a great (although late) night to catch up with friends and enjoy some much loved chametz.

Eight days earlier, Penn State Hillel hosted close to 500 students for the largest first night seder ever. No, 500 people were not sitting in one room. Instead, we had three different seders going. There was a large traditional seder downstairs, a smaller traditional seder upstairs and a women's seder upstairs. The week leading up to Monday night, Hillel students kashered three kitchens and cooked enough kugel and chicken and stuffing and dessert for 500 people. The work paid off because the first night was amazing.

I'm going to share a little more about the women's seder for a few reasons: it's new to Penn State this year, I compiled the haggadah, and led the seder. When posed with the idea of having multiple seders this year, I immediately knew I wanted to lead a women's seder. My mom had introduced the tradition at our synagogue back home and now the sisterhood holds one every year. Using her resources, I compiled a haggadah over spring break, using stories, explanations and interpretations with a women's twist. I really enjoyed reading all of the different commentaries, and picked a few to incorporate into the haggadah.

The seder itself was also different. I wanted everyone to be involved in the leading of the seder. Our evening started out with participants introducing themselves to the others sitting around their table while also getting to know a little more about the women that came before us. During the seder, each table was responsible for reading part of the hagaddah. Everyone had a role, everyone participated. This wasn't just my seder. It was our seder. I loved the communal aspect this evening highlighted--an aspect that is essential to the holiday of Passover and the idea that we are a Jewish people celebrating our freedom after experiencing our suffering.

I had a lot of fun and was really excited about Passover this year because of the new traditions that were being started. I hope everyone had a lovely Passover and is enjoying chametz once again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment